Questions You may ask your employer?
The last Career Corner story focused on the different types of questions students are often asked during interviews. However, a question students frequently ask us in the Career Development Center is, "What kinds of questions should I ask the employer?"
Asking questions of the employer helps project your enthusiasm for the company and the job. It shows you have done your research. Interviewers continually relate stories of students who have impressed them with their knowledge of the company and how they can make a contribution to the company based on something they learned while preparing for the interview. Conversely, interviewers also have stories about students who were ill prepared.
As you research the organization, jot down some notes. Pay special attention to any areas you are curious about – these areas form the basis for some of your questions. Be sure to research more than just the company website. Trade publications, back issues of the Wall Street Journal, Vault.com and WetFeet.com are all great sources of information.
If, after conducting your research, you still feel like you need more questions, here are a few sample questions that may help:
What is a typical career path for someone in this position?
How are promotions and performance appraisals conducted at your organization?
How would you describe the corporate culture at your organization?
What is your vision for your department over the next two or three years?
What major challenges do you anticipate in the next few years?
If you need a little reassurance about your questions, the interview or have any other career-related issues, please contact the friendly staff of the Career Development Center. Also, feel free to stop by and receive a free, updated handout about interviews, including practice questions and more ideas for questions you can ask the employer.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Norwich Guidon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NORWICH GUIDON NEWS
RECENT THE NORWICH GUIDON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone