Questions You may ask your employer?
The last Career Corner story focused on the different types of questions students are often asked during interviews. However, a question students frequently ask us in the Career Development Center is, "What kinds of questions should I ask the employer?"
Asking questions of the employer helps project your enthusiasm for the company and the job. It shows you have done your research. Interviewers continually relate stories of students who have impressed them with their knowledge of the company and how they can make a contribution to the company based on something they learned while preparing for the interview. Conversely, interviewers also have stories about students who were ill prepared.
As you research the organization, jot down some notes. Pay special attention to any areas you are curious about – these areas form the basis for some of your questions. Be sure to research more than just the company website. Trade publications, back issues of the Wall Street Journal, Vault.com and WetFeet.com are all great sources of information.
If, after conducting your research, you still feel like you need more questions, here are a few sample questions that may help:
What is a typical career path for someone in this position?
How are promotions and performance appraisals conducted at your organization?
How would you describe the corporate culture at your organization?
What is your vision for your department over the next two or three years?
What major challenges do you anticipate in the next few years?
If you need a little reassurance about your questions, the interview or have any other career-related issues, please contact the friendly staff of the Career Development Center. Also, feel free to stop by and receive a free, updated handout about interviews, including practice questions and more ideas for questions you can ask the employer.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Norwich Guidon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NORWICH GUIDON NEWS
RECENT THE NORWICH GUIDON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor