Questions You may ask your employer?
The last Career Corner story focused on the different types of questions students are often asked during interviews. However, a question students frequently ask us in the Career Development Center is, "What kinds of questions should I ask the employer?"
Asking questions of the employer helps project your enthusiasm for the company and the job. It shows you have done your research. Interviewers continually relate stories of students who have impressed them with their knowledge of the company and how they can make a contribution to the company based on something they learned while preparing for the interview. Conversely, interviewers also have stories about students who were ill prepared.
As you research the organization, jot down some notes. Pay special attention to any areas you are curious about – these areas form the basis for some of your questions. Be sure to research more than just the company website. Trade publications, back issues of the Wall Street Journal, Vault.com and WetFeet.com are all great sources of information.
If, after conducting your research, you still feel like you need more questions, here are a few sample questions that may help:
What is a typical career path for someone in this position?
How are promotions and performance appraisals conducted at your organization?
How would you describe the corporate culture at your organization?
What is your vision for your department over the next two or three years?
What major challenges do you anticipate in the next few years?
If you need a little reassurance about your questions, the interview or have any other career-related issues, please contact the friendly staff of the Career Development Center. Also, feel free to stop by and receive a free, updated handout about interviews, including practice questions and more ideas for questions you can ask the employer.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Norwich Guidon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NORWICH GUIDON NEWS
RECENT THE NORWICH GUIDON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities